Monday, June 2, 2008

Yes, I did it!

After a long process and days of training I am officially a doula!
Of course you are saying “what is a doula?” Well, here is a brief education. A doula accompanies women in labor, provides emotional and physical support, suggests comfort measures, and provides support and suggestions for the partner. When possible a doula provides pre- and post-partum emotional support, including explanation and discussion of practices and procedures, and assistance in acquiring the knowledge necessary to make informed decisions about her care.

I have always been fascinated with childbirth and the birth process. Birth is such an amazing thing to witness but even more amazing to me is to see a woman in a labor of love for her child. This is where I want to have the opportunity to help women achieve their ideal birth in the best way possible and offer them the support they need to do it.

I have had the opportunity to be a part of three births prior to my decision to be come DONA trained and certified. Two of these births were of my own siblings. Mom taught her girls all at young ages the wonderfulness of childbirth. I begged mom to let me be there when the last two siblings were born. I knew for sure after having been a part of that process that I too wanted to labor naturally and have the same birth experience she had.

I know what you are thinking of labor, women screaming, immense pain and endless agony. Well then, you have never been a part of a birth where a mother set a birth plan and reached it.

Last February I was able to be a part of Kimbers’ birth. This was life changing for me. To see Kobie so calm and relaxed as she labored was amazing. She stayed focused and against all odds delivered a baby V-BAC!! This was it for me I was sure that some way some how I was going to find a way to be able to help women labor in whatever way they desire.

Doulas who are certified by DONA International must have completed all the requirements as set forth in the DONA International Requirements for Certification. This includes training in childbirth and attendance at a birth doula workshop which has been approved the DONA; completion of a breastfeeding requirement; required reading from the DONA International Reading List; development of a resource list for her clients; completion of an essay that demonstrates understanding of the integral concepts of labor support and a Basic Knowledge Self Assessment Test.

So, I am officially trained by DONA and have completed all but one requirement in order to be certified. The next step is to attend three births as a trained DONA doula. I have a client who will be having a home birth in October so I will need to do two more for certification. So, if you know anyone who is expecting and wants to know about doulas send her my way. Of course my first three births will be at no charge. After that requirements are set by DONA and I am required to charge for my services.

If you want more info on DONA check out http://www.dona.org/ and of course if you want to know more personaly I would be happy to share what I know with you. A big thanks to Doug for all his support while I attended birthing classes, training and much more. He is such a supporter of this and a true believer in the process, of course he has witnessed this first hand at the birth of Kennedy, thanks Doug!

2 comments:

Kobie said...

Your services will always be free to me, right???? Seriously though, I am so proud of you!

RJ said...

Hi Heather, I'm Kobie Jo's friend. Can I ask where you are located? I'm always on the look out for doula's to refer friends to. Could you email me your contact info at rwj1000@gmail.com so I can add you to my resource list? And congratulations, someday I want to do the same! Someday...